Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Nesting

So, this weekend I had the very strong urge to get nesting. We spent Saturday getting the nursery ready, doing the last bit of shopping, washing little tiny clothes and hanging them up on tiny hangers in the closet (my personal favorite part about getting ready for a baby).

I also raided my moms house and swiped the one item I've claimed as part of my inheritance...her rocking chair. I don't know why this one simple piece of furniture means so much to me. It's not expensive. It's not that fancy. It's not soft and cushiony. It's even quite worn if you look closely. And it creaks when you rock in it. But growing up, it was always my favorite place to sit when I needed some quiet time and I still remember curling up in my mom's lap, sucking my thumb and listening to her sing primary songs as she put me to bed at night.

When my parents were in New Zealand, Ben and I lived in their home and welcomed little Abby into our lives. The first day we were home from the hospital, I sat down in the chair and cried as I held my little newborn in my arms and rocked her in the same chair...in the same room where my mother had rocked me. For some reason, it made my mom seem right there with me - celebrating each tiny moment with my beautiful little daughter.



Now that my parents are again on the other side of the world - this rocking chair means even more to me. As I welcome my new little son into the world, I look forward to rocking him to sleep in his Grandma's chair and telling him stories of her adventures in Africa. Somehow this simple chair makes the distance seem slight.

Our little boy will also be playing under the crazy mobile that Grandma and Grandpa sent Abby from New Zealand.

Okay, onto a much less sappy note. When we were deciding where to put this little guy, I was a bit worried about having Abby and Isaac share a room. I had visions of fights over space, giggling and trouble-making at bedtime, and complaints about privacy. But those fears were totally unnecessary. Abby LOVES sharing bunk beds with Isaac and at least once a week, we wake up to find one of them in the other's bed. Isaac will tell us in the morning that he had a "scawry dwream" and just wanted to snuggle his "Sissy Bum-bums" (his new nickname for Abby). I think it's darling that they love each other so much!



No lie, this is how I found them the other morning. That can't be exactly comfortable.


Here are a few random shots of the whole family pitching in to get ready for little #3!







(Abby didn't want to get paint on her shirt.)

1 comment:

YbsisKaren said...

You guys are awesome. What a wonderful memory. One of the pieces of furniture that always brought back warm fuzzies at my folks house was a little stool. One that was abt 3' tall. But when you sat on it you felt abt 6' tall. Thanks for helping me have a warm feeling when my Mom and Dad live so far from me too.