Friday, May 9, 2008

ZION

OK, I know it's been over two weeks since our little fam went to the desert, and I apologize for the tardiness of my blog update. To show the sincerity of my apology, I'm going to go ahead and jump to the best discovery of the entire trip. I was going to make you wait until the end of the post for this, but I just cannot contain my excitement any longer. Here it is....Jiffy Pop, over-the-fire-or-campstove popping corn!


Oh yeah, this was some gooooooooooooooood corn! Definitely a new must for any camping adventure.

This was our first official camping trip as an entire family (need I remind you of the girls-night-out camping nightmare from last summer?) Craziness and tantrums abounded, but overall - the Lowry's had a great time.
The weather was ideal, the scenery majestic and the crowds pretty tame. We couldn't have picked a better weekend to head South.

Little Isaac was in absolute HEAVEN. He spent the entire weekend in the dirt. Rocks, dirt, sticks, mixed with a little water to make mud...what more could a little boy wish for?

Ben and Abby joined in the fun too, of course.



Now, those of you who really know our little Isaac, will find it easy to believe that this little boy didn't just stop at playing with the dirt. As documented in this photo, he also felt the need every few minutes of each hike, to bend down, pick up the sand and watch it flow through his chubby little fingers, and then EAT a little. (Needless to say, we had some interesting diapers for a few days.)

On Sunday, we hiked to the bottom of the Narrows. We just couldn't resist getting into that water and splashing around a bit.
We spent all day Saturday and Sunday hiking. Now, that sounds like we must have covered some major ground - out hiking all day long. But with these little legs and curious little minds, we didn't log many miles. But boy did we discover every leaf, bug, lizard, rock and tree of the places we saw!

And when he was sleepy, Isaac just sucked on his filthy little thumb and snuggled up.




Both kids thought it was a grand adventure: eating camp food outside, sleeping in a tent, roasting hot dogs and marshmallows over the fire...
This little girl really cracks me up.

On a serious note, this trip was very therapeutic for us - we needed a vacation. This photo was taken at the end of the trip, and I wish I hadn't told Ben to turn around before I snapped the shot. Of course, Abby saw the camera and felt the need to pose, smashing into Isaac and making him scream, so I'll need to paint a photo for you of what I was thinking just 10 seconds earlier. I was walking behind Ben. Isaac was in the backpack and he had Abby on his shoulders. I was reminiscing back to all the times I went backpacking in the desert while I was in college. I loved the feeling of independence of knowing that everything I needed to survive was on my back. I felt so free to know that I could go anywhere - secure that all I really needed was right there with me.


As I walked behind Ben, laughing at how awkward he looked with both kids on his back, I thought about the contrast - we didn't have enough food, water, clothing or shelter to last us more than a few hours in our backpacks on this short hike - but as I watched my husband carrying our beautiful children on his back, I knew that I had all I needed. Even though our adventures are much different than when we were younger and more carefree, I found a tremendous satisfaction and pure joy in recognizing that together, we have everything we need.
Thank you Ben, Abby and Isaac for being all that I truly need.

3 comments:

hilarie said...

Awesome pictures! Camping with kids is quite an experience, even if our camping expereince was at Moab's Best Western. Abby should get into Crack Climbing. It looks like she is fond of cracks.

PS - Fabulous jam. It saved me while I was sick. Even if I wasn't invited.

Aurelie said...

There are so many great photos in this post. I love the one of Isaac eating the rock and you and Abby, being an airplane or a bird I presume. And of course, of your family. It looks like you had a great time together.

I love your kids.

Aurelie said...

And the one of abby and isaac holding hands.