Sunday, January 10, 2010

Happy Poop Day!

Let's just begin by saying that potty training has not been easy for our little Isaac. Over the summer, it was our #1 goal - and he did great! Except for #2. He likes to hold it in until we put a pull up on him for naptime. We've worked on this - we've begged, we've bribed, we've encouraged, we've ignored. We've read books, we've tried all sorts of creative solutions to no avail.

Some classic Isaac lines regarding this topic:

(When Daddy was getting up from reading bedtime stories to Isaac he mentioned that he needed to leave because he had to go potty:)
Isaac: "No Daddy, stay here! Just poop your pants! It's what I do - it feels nice!"

(When Uncle Mike was babysitting, Isaac mysteriously disappeared into his bedroom and was silent for more than 10 seconds - a sure sign #2 is making an appearance. Uncle Mike walked into his room to discover Isaac, pull-up half off, lovingly admiring his handywork.)
Isaac: "Wook Uncwle Mike! It's wike ice cwream! Chocolate Ice Cwream!"

The kid indeed seems to enjoy the sensation of messy pants and I was just about ready to throw in the towel resign myself to the fact that I'll be changing pull-ups until he's 12, when we had a breakthrough.

On Thursday night, he pooped in his favorite Buzz Lightyear underpants. It was a real doozy and I was tired from a long day of work. I pulled off the underpants and plopped them right into the garbage can. Poor Isaac was devestated. "JUST WASH THEM MOMMY!" I calmly explained that it was too bad he pooped on Buzz, because I was not about to scrape those babies clean enough to wash them.

My determined little boy sat right down on the potty and tried. And tried. And tried. For one hour he tried...and finally managed to poop a little more in the potty! We were happy, but still not convinced he could repeat the miracle.

Friday - Success.
Saturday - another success. By this time we were so thrilled that Abby came running up to Isaac singing, "Happy Poop Day to you! Happy Poop Day to you!" And showered Isaac with gifts from her most treasured possessions. (She even crossed out her name on her school reflections trophy and wrote Isaac's in it's place.)

Today, when he did it again - we had to celebrate in style.



He got a special "poop cake", candle, singing and all. Yes - I will repeat this process of bribery and stuff his little elated face full of processed sugar and fat, over scraping out Buzz Lightyear underpants any day.

Perhaps he'll be potty trained before puberty after all. Good Job Isaac!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Sick, and I am a nurse! No, seriously so funny. Rachel.. I am so entertained by your children. I am happy to hear that a new babe is coming too.

Handley Family said...

I love this post, Rachel! I'm glad our family isn't the only one who celebrates pooping. And congratulations to both you and Isaac. No more poopy pull-ups!