Friday, November 17, 2006

Abby's First Annual "Indian Pawrtee"

Last November at a playgroup, Abby made an indian headband that she wore daily, well into December. The poor little colored paper and feathers creation was in tatters after a few nights of sleeping with it on, yet each morning she insisted that I work my motherly magic of 'fixing it' (more glue, more staples, more tape, you get the idea). Sometime just before Christmas, I finally had to sneak the beloved "Indian Hat" out of her bed and into the trash. I didn't think she had noticed...


Fast forward one year to the first of November 2006 when I turned the page on our family calendar only to reveal (you guessed it) a photo of Abby last Thanksgiving donning her precious "Indian Hat"! Needless to say, she hadn't forgotten and immediately wanted to know where this headpiece was. I had to explain to her that her hat went bye-bye, but we could make a new one if she wanted. It was almost as though I could see the wheels turning in her head. My little party planner went right to work. She decided then and there that she would have an "Indian Pawrtee" and told me a list of neighborhood friends she wanted to invite (including our next-door neighbor's two month old baby boy).



A few phone calls and a little baking later and we were ready. The morning of the party Abby woke up saying, "Let's have a Indian Pawtee Mommy!" and began helping me decorate. Her friend Sidney came over early to lay out the table cloth and decorate the placemats (scribbling on pieces of paper). As our little guests arrived, the excitement mounted. Each little "indian" made their own headband (made with foam this year, hopefully it will last a bit longer), decorated a corn-on-the cob cookie, and listened to an indian story while having a pint-sized feast (popcorn, craisins, and apple juice). The festivities concluded with a child-inititated contest to see who could pull the most toys out of Abby's closet and onto the floor. (I'm not sure who won that one...)

All in all, it was a great day. As I was listening to Abby outside her door (while she was supposed to be going to sleep) I heard her talking to all the stuffed animals she had neatly lined up on her bed. Something about, "Hewe's youw indian hat Elmo, Hewe's youw indian hat Zoe, Wet's have an indian pawrtee!"





P.S. I apologize that there aren't any pictures of our littlest papoose. He slept through most of the festivities...

No comments: