Saturday, November 24, 2007

Art Lessons

Our youngest child, Isaac has recently begun to display signs of an uncanny interest in fine art. A few days ago I came upstairs to be greeted by this masterpiece: Once I began looking more closely, it seems our littlest artist has taken the task upon himself to re-decorate each and every room in our home with his abstract renderings. You have to bend down a bit, but seriously - he made it to every room in the house before I wrestled the crayon out of his hand. (When he notices the scribbles on the wall of his room, he hugs and kisses them - I haven't had the heart to wash them off yet.) Here he is, caught it the act.
Here is his "face of remorse" when I told him he was in trouble.

I decided it was time for art lessons. I secured a paper onto the table with tape and then repeated over and over (and over), "Crayons are for paper Isaac, not for walls." He practiced, teasing me by pretending to draw on the table and giggling when I said, "No, no Isaac, only on paper." Then he'd gleefully scribble on the paper.




After about 10 mintes, he seemed to have it down....Crayons are only for paper. Note to self: next lesson - discuss other drawing instruments. He went straight from our lesson into Abby's room where she had her art supplies out, and decorated her room with her really cool dollar-store markers.

After another lecture, I put him in time out and went to work scrubbing the walls and pillow he'd been able to get to. (By the way, dollar store markers ARE NOT WASHABLE.) Isaac sensed my frustration and broke the ice by coming toddling in, full of excitement to show me the towel he had found all by himself to help me clean.


"Let me help, Mommy!"



"Oops, we missed a spot!"


Oh, I love that little stinker. But I think I'll buy stock in Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.





No comments: