Tomorrow I go back to teaching. I've switched to 5th grade and am excited about the new challenge. My poor family and friends have been wonderfully understanding as they've listened to me switch back and forth from being very excited about teaching again and the curriculum I have to explore, to being depressed, anxious, and guilt-ridden about sending my children to daycare and leaving them all day, 5 days a week.
Tonight a sweet friend came over and gave me this gift: in 8 years of teaching, my very first apple. I have to admit, I got a bit choked up when I opened the card.
So, as I am gathering my supplies to take with me to school tomorrow, I'll admit I'm a bit emotional about what I'm saying farewell to. Goodbye to the lazy days of summer when I can sleep in until I am woken up by the pitter patter of little feet, coming down the stairs to climb into bed for the first morning snuggle. Goodbye to leisurely homemade breakfasts that conclude with the question, "What do you feel like doing today, guys?"
Goodbye to long afternoons spent playing in the backyard and to playing with friends whenever the heck we feel like it.
Goodbye to spontaneous trips to the mountains to explore or create or just get a little dirty.
Goodbye to snack time in the hammock, hanging out with my two favorite little people.
I've been blessed to be able to spend so much time with my children. I have to admit that it is breaking my heart to think that other people are going to be spending more time with them during the week than I will. Thank goodness I have found such good people that I know will love and care for and teach my children in my absence.
I have to remind myself that I'm doing this for them. But oh, how I'm going to miss spending every minute of every day with my two beautiful children.
No comments:
Post a Comment