Monday, August 17, 2009

Don't Mess With My Polka!

So, a while back a few friends and I joined into an unspoken agreement. Any time any of us has an upcoming function where cookies, cakes, or cupcakes are required, we pull an all-night decorating fest and get the job done together. Our style coach has always been Aurelie, Jenny Jo and I are always her happy assistants - content to mix batch after batch of frosting, or fill in the bases while she masterfully adds the finishing touches.

Well, last week I agreed to make 100 sugar cookies for a baby shower. I called the troops, we agreed on a location and time, and... Aurelie got sick! At first, Jenny Jo and I were panicked. Could we really do it ourselves? Were we ready?! Poor, sick, Master Aurelie drew up a few diagrams, gave us a few instructions and assured us that we were ready, this is the moment she had been training us for. By 12:30 am, we were finished! And we were proud! We had done it! The next morning, Aurelie (feeling much refreshed) came over to inspect the goods. After 11 seconds of quiet observation she said, "They look GREAT! But I can totally tell which polka dots you did!" and commenced to make fun of my pathetic attempts to find the necessary "Polka Dot Whimsy" despite my natural inclination towards symmetry and balance.
Well, I showed her. The above graffiti photo did not turn out too well, but it reads, "You've been Polka'd by the Polka Queen!"


Here she is, hanging her head in shame after she gazed upon my perfect polka dots littering her entire sidewalk.

I don't think she'll tease me again.

No comments: