Now, I'm beginning to learn a thing or two about toddler parties. We made this one small. Small guest list, few activities, and lots of room for creativity and self-expression. I think it helped.


As our little guests arrived, they went to the craft table where they each created their own train out of boxes and craft supplies.
Isaac spent a good majority of the festivities camped out in his "B-Day Express".
When all the trains were ready, the kids lined up for a train ride on the tracks. All was going well until they met a few obstacles: A coal car tipped over and they had to scramble to clear the tracks (black balloons spilled out that they had to quickly pick up), a herd of wild animals blocking the tracks (stuffed animals), and finally a freak blizzard left the tracks frozen under a thick layer of ice that had to be broken up - bubble wrap). It was quite a ride, but our little engineers handled it wonderfully and all returned to the station in one piece.

Here's the birthday boy, chillin' out in his train, just observing all the fun.
And then there was lunch. Of course, had to make a choo choo train veggie tray.
Ben fired up the grill.
And everyone dove into a great meal.

Isaac and Tate enjoyed just being together. He's a great little next door neighbor who Isaac loves!
After lunch the kids lined up their trains and got ready for the pinata!
We let the little ones go first and then cycled through the entire group a few times. 
That pinata was TOUGH!

Even the big kids with the strongest arms were having a tough time cracking that baby.

So, finally we decided to let the REALLY big kid have a turn. To say he was successful is an understatement. Kids were picking up pieces of candy, or should I say candy in pieces from the grass after Ben's turn at bat. He hit that thing so hard that most of the candy was pulverized into little shards of sugar. Way to go Daddy!
After everyone filled their trains up with candy, it was time for presents. Isaac wanted to stop and play with every single one, so it took a while. He got spoiled rotten and has spent all day today sorting out his toys and arranging them just right in his room. When he woke up this morning, the first thing I heard him saying was, "Thank you Shanon, Thank you Shanon" over and over. I went in to get him and he was holding the motorcycles that Shanon, Phil, and Tate had given him. He insists on sleeping with a different gift at each bedtime and nap time.

And then there's the cake. This cake will soon be getting a blog of it's own - (as soon as I get the photos from Aurelie). I saw a choo choo train cake recipe on a website and thought I would be able to duplicate it on my own. At 9:30 the night before the party, I was just getting ready to decorate when my friends Aurelie and JennyJo swooped in to save me. Somehow they knew I would have been in tears, surrounded by globs and globs of sticky frosting, broken cake everywhere and a huge mess had I attempted this feat alone. We stayed up until 12:30 am decorating this masterpiece. (Okay, correction - Aurelie and Jenny Jo did all of the decorating. I was put in charge of making the frosting and mixing the colors. I think they knew where my talents would be best served.) I nearly shed a tear when everyone made me cut it up.

But boy were those kids excited to help eat it 

It was a wonderful day and I went to bed exhausted, but filled with gratitude for great family and friends who love my little Isaac nearly as much as I do. He was in heaven all day long, and it was so much fun watching him beam at each party guest, and dive into all the activities with that charisma that is so characteristically Isaac. At one point during the party, his cousin asked him how old he was. His enthusiastic answer? "Happy." I love it. That simple statement described today perfectly. Happy. Does anything else really matter?
So, finally we decided to let the REALLY big kid have a turn. To say he was successful is an understatement. Kids were picking up pieces of candy, or should I say candy in pieces from the grass after Ben's turn at bat. He hit that thing so hard that most of the candy was pulverized into little shards of sugar. Way to go Daddy!
It was a wonderful day and I went to bed exhausted, but filled with gratitude for great family and friends who love my little Isaac nearly as much as I do. He was in heaven all day long, and it was so much fun watching him beam at each party guest, and dive into all the activities with that charisma that is so characteristically Isaac. At one point during the party, his cousin asked him how old he was. His enthusiastic answer? "Happy." I love it. That simple statement described today perfectly. Happy. Does anything else really matter?
I love you, IZ! I'm glad you had a happy day today, little buddy. Here's to many more years full of 'Happy'.
No comments:
Post a Comment