Monday, February 14, 2011

Eat Your Heart Out!

Three years ago, Ben and I found ourselves in the unfortunate predicament of being "stuck" at home with sick children on Valentine's Day. Forced to cancel our plans for a romantic night out on the town, we opted to eat in...hitting Papa Murphy's ever classic $5 heart shaped pizza to split with the kiddos. Classy, I know. However, as we sat with the kids and talked about how much we love them, a new glorious tradition was born.
Today Isaac, Abby and I busted out the "Fancy Dinner" decorations...the kids scoured the closets and cupboards for the fanciest decor they could find. This is what they came up with...doilies, faux lace (yup, it's plastic!) tablecloth, paper plates, candles...the works. We were set for a feast!

Daddy came home and the traditional "love toasts" began. Abby started us off:
"I love Daddy because he hugs me when I'm sad.
I love Isaac because he shares his Valentine's Day candy with me and tries hard to be kind.
I love Soren because he has the cutest little smile in the whole world.
I love Mommy because she is kind and loving and always makes me feel happy. I love Mom and Dad because if they didn't work, we would be homeless."
Isaac:
"I love Daddy because he tells me stories about when he was a little boy. I love Abby because she is my Sissy Bum Bums. I love Soren because he drools a lot and helps me make Miss Jacque (preschool teacher) walk the plank."



Poor Soren spent his first Valentine's Day cutting his two front teeth and being a pretty miserable little twerp. Hence, the even droolier than usual drool shot below. But he perked up when he discovered the Valentine's Day fairy had given him a big old bag of green balls! (The only thing he loves more than balls these days are socks. He rips them off of his feet in lightning speed and rubs them on his cheek while he sucks his thumb. Charming, right?)



After dinner, the kids insisted on visiting a few of their favorite neighborhood "grandma's" and proudly delivering their "Cupid's hearts" they had worked so hard to create.


Eat your heart out commercialized Valentine's Day! We had a much better time with our cheesy, home-made celebration.
Happy V-Day!

No comments: