Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hoarding

Ben and I recently watched our first episode of the show, "Hoarders". Approximately 10 minutes into the show, we were both ready to hurl. Not only were we sick to our stomachs because of the filth portrayed in the show, but because of the reminder that we both have an inner hoarder lurking deep inside.
Inspired by the show, and in anticipation of our upcoming basement remodel - I went into action. I showed no mercy. After 3 carloads to the DI and a porch full of donations to MS, I am feeling much better. I got rid of "treasures" I've been holding on to for over 20 years. This delightful inflatable chair is one of the things I just couldn't part with 7 years ago when I moved out of my 3rd grade classroom. It has been taking up an entire bin in our storage room - waiting for the day when I would use it again. My kids were thrilled. We pulled it out and commenced to spend the better part of THREE hours pumping the stupid thing up with our bicycle pump.
By the time the thing was inflated, I could barely lift my arms above my head. But I patted myself on the back as I watched my kids jump for joy on this new fun chair. "See? Some things are worth holding on to." I proudly told myself.



After 7 years of storage, 3 hours of pumping, and 5 minutes of blissful jumping, it popped. Thank goodness I've held on to it this long...



No comments: