Sunday, May 31, 2009

Abby's Wonkalicious Birthday Party

On Friday my little Abby Jayne turned five years old. I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to her a few weeks ago at bedtime and she's been planning the party ever since. Daddy helped make the best invitations ever: custom made Wonka bars for each little guest.





Of course, tucked away in each bar was a golden ticket - inviting them to Abby's Chocolate Factory on Saturday.

When they arrived at the gates, each party guest was greeted by Mr. Willy Wonka himself.


"Rainbow", Mr. Wonka's favorite Oompa Loompa was there to help collect the golden tickets as each lucky child arrived. As they entered the factory, guests gathered first at the "Oompa Loompa Work Station" where they designed their own chocolate factory with edible decor. Once every golden ticket was accounted for and each child had completed their masterpiece, the tour of the factory really got moving. They were off to the "Fizzy Lifting Drinks" room next. Abby and I read a little from the book, and then explained to our guests that Willy Wonka has created amazing "fizzy lifting drinks" that, when consumed with Bottle Caps candy, make you jump higher than you could ever imagine - and the only way to get down once you've started jumping, is to burp!Oh, the kids thought this was a grand idea and took turns sipping their drinks, eating their candy, and......flying!This stuff really works!Next on the tour was the "Lickable Wallpaper". Abby and I explained how Mr. Wonka invented this little treasure to decorate children's nurseries. Each strip of wallpaper was custom made so the fruit tasted like fruit, and the cars, flowers and animals tasted like candy!Our guests were delighted to give it a try.This little girl was determined to get every single bit of the delicious stuff. ...and finally, we visited the famous Chocolate River where Mr. Wonka uses innovative waterfall technology to mix his delicious chocolate. Here Abby helped me tell the story of greedy Agustus Gloop, who disobeyed the rules and dove head-first into the chocolate river. Our guests watched in awe as a dozen or so Agustus Gloops were tossed into the river shouting, "Mama! Mama! Save me!"We passed out the nets and each little guest took turns seeing how many Agustus Gloops they could fish out of the chocolate. Of course, Mr. Wonka had prepared a special pinata full of his delicious Wonka candies and treats. Silly Willy even brought along some silly string to liven up the party.

"Take that, Birthday Girl!"

The Oompa Loompas made a special chocolate river cake with FIVE candles for the birthday girl.
Happy Birthday Abby Jayne!

4 comments:

Shmacque said...

WOW!! Looks like you should have chosen a career in party planning!! What a fun day, I'm curious about the edible wallpaper. You will have to explain that tomorrow.

Handley Family said...

Rachel, you are so awesome! You never cease to amaze me with your creativity. What an awesome party. Abby is one lucky girl. I can't believe she is five. Happy Birthday, Abby!

Oh, and now that we don't live in the same neighborhood anymore I am totally going to steal all of your party ideas and use them for my kids :) Hope that's okay!

Rachel said...

Oh my heck, Shanon, I would LOVE it if you stole my ideas. We're collecting quite a shed full of party props now that I would happily lend out - in fact, after all the effort, it would be great to get another party or two out of these! FYI - we currently have a set of railroad crossing signs that have Tate's name written all over them. Any other takers?

Munchy's Mama said...

Oh my word! You put EVERY single birthday party I've ever planned or attended to shame!! I am so impressed! I kept scrolling down your blog in absolute amazement! So creative!! Abby is a very lucky girl!

Dayton's Mom ~your stalker (o=