It was the summer of 1980 (ish) when my mother decided it was healthier and more economical to begin purchasing milk for our family directly from the source - the dairy farm. I remember the first time she plopped the heavy glass jar with the red rubber handle down on the dinner table. As an avid milk connoisseur, I was excited to discover how it tasted "straight from the cow". She poured the frothy milk into my glass and I gulped.
Only to gag at the REPULSIVE, rotten, rancid flavor that had accosted my taste buds. From that point on; I was on strike. For the next few weeks I recall the tantrums that sent me to my room without any dinner night after night because I refused to drink that nasty stuff they called milk. Oh, I kicked, I screamed, I refused...and eventually, I WON! One morning, my mom quietly placed a good old, store-bought plastic milk container in front of my cereal bowl at breakfast and walked away. I relished my victory by pouring that good old white stuff on my Cheerios and savoring each sloshy bite.
My victory was short-lived, however when a few days later I walked in to the kitchen only to see with my own two eyes (gasp!) My MOTHER, standing at the kitchen sink, rinsing out the plastic milk jug and refilling it with that crap from the farm!
Oh, I was mad. She had tricked me, and worst of all, I had totally bought it! And I soon found out that the ENTIRE FAMILY (who, incidentally - liked the stuff) was in on the gig. It took me a good 5 years (no lie) to drink milk willingly again. I remember digging out my little journal, turning to the page where I had a list of things I would NEVER do as a parent, and writing down, "When I'm a mom, I won't EVER pour yucky milk into the good milk jar, just to trick my kids."
Today, after 6 long days of diarrhea and vomiting, my poor little Isaac had had enough. The doctor told us to stay away from all dairy products, until his little tummy had enough time to recover. At breakfast time, he wanted MILK! ON! MY! CEREAL!!! When we lovingly tried to explain why milk was not good for his tummy, it just threw him into a downward spiral. He SCREAMED for over 2 hours, until I sent daddy to buy the "special" milk that was good for sick tummies. Well, that didn't work. He just started screaming, "I no wike SPECIAWL miwlk!!! I want WHITE milk from da FWRIDGE!"
Needless to say, I did it. I'm not proud of the deception I was a part of. I'm not proud that it worked. But my little boy got his Captain Crunch, and is sleeping soundly on a calm tummy. I guess I owe my mom an apology - or maybe Isaac. Sorry, little buddy.
1 comment:
Chocolate Soy Milk is DELICIOUS!!! I had to go off dairy and for a long time used this in my cereal, lol!!
Post a Comment