Friday, September 25, 2009

Confessions of a Soon to be Big Brother

The following statements are actual quotes from my boy Isaac who was recently informed that he won't be the Littlest Lowry for much longer. (Yup, for those of you who haven't heard, I'm expecting! YAY!) This kid has cracked us up as he scrambles to figure out this whole "baby in Mommy's tummy" business. One night at bedtime:
Isaac:
"Is it my bedtime, Mommy?"

Mommy: "Yes."

Isaac: "Is it Abby's bedtime, Mommy?"

Mommy: "Yes"

Isaac: "Is it youwr baby's bedtime, Mommy?"

Mommy: "Yes, even the baby in my tummy is sleeping because it's night time."

Isaac: (after a few moments of serious pondering) "Is dthewr a tiny bwlanket and a tiny pillow down dewr in youwr tummy for my baby bwrothewr to snuggle wif?"

Mommy, chuckling: "No, there is no blanket or pillow in my tummy, but I'm sure our baby is very cozy."

Isaac (after running into his room and grabbing his favorite soft elephant blanket): "Hewre Mommy, open youwr mouth. I'm going to give dis blankie to my baby so she can snuggle it tonight while she sleeps." (Note - although he always refers to our baby as a "she", he INSISTS that it will be a brother. Go figure.)


One evening during dinner:
Isaac:
"Mommy, I have a secwret dat I want to tell my baby bwrothewr that I don't want nobody else to heawr."

Mommy: "Okay, why don't you come over and talk to the baby through my tummy."

Isaac: (Climbing over the table and onto my chair so he's poised perfectly above my face.) "Open youwr mouth Mommy, I'm going to go down into youwr tummy and tell my baby a secwret!"

Needless to say, Isaac was quite perturbed when, upon trial, he discovered that he was way too big to fit in my mouth and climb into my tummy. I guess his little brother or sister will never get to hear the secret.


At Preschool:
(I heard this account second hand, but still get teased about it on a weekly basis.)
PREFACE: At eight weeks, I had an early ultrasound and brought home pictures. The kids were eager to see pictures of the baby, but a bit disappointed when they saw the blurry black and white image I was calling their little brother or sister. Ben and I made the comment that our baby looked a little more like an alien than a baby. We didn't think the kids were paying attention.

Miss Jeri (introducing each child to the high school students that work as aids in their classroom): "Everyone, this is Addie, and she has a baby brother named Brigden..."

Isaac: (upon overhearing Miss Jeri's comment from the hallway where he was getting a drink, comes running into the room shouting...) "I have a baby too! I have a baby too!"

Miss Jeri: "Yes, this is Isaac and his mommy is going to have a baby brother or a baby sister in the springtime. Isn't that exciting news?"

Isaac: "Actuawlly Miss Jewri, it's not a baby bwrothewr or a baby sistewr. It's just a baby alien."

He continues to tell people that I have a baby alien in my tummy. And I'm not sure he's disappointed. I think he secretly thinks having a baby alien in the family would be much cooler than a baby brother or sister. Poor kid - might be in for a disappointment. (I hope.)

1 comment:

Handley Family said...

Congratulations, Rachel!!!! So exciting. Isaac will be the cutest big brother, even if his sibling ends up being an alien after all :)