Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fall-iday Celebration, Day Three

For those of you loyal blog-checkin' friends who may be getting a bit tired of my corny little, "Fall-iday" celebrations, I have four words: get used to it. This new tradition is just beginning to roll. Each day brings a new momentum to make it bigger and better than the last. Today was pure bliss. I crammed throughout the day at school to be ready to leave shortly after my students so I could pick Abby and Isaac up from preschool early.


Their teacher told me they had been chattering on and on to her all day about "fawll-iday" and the plans we had for the afternoon. (Don't you love kids? I love having my own little guinea pigs who I can brainwash full of my crazy ideas and they just eat it right up. Makes me feel like a million bucks.)

Today's adventure: hiking in the foothills and exploring the wonders of fall colors.

My kids and I hopped, skipped, twirled, jumped, rolled and nibbled (okay, just Isaac on that last one) our way through the hills of B-town all afternoon long.

Abby was on a quest to fill her backpack full of every single colored leaf she could get her little hands on. (I think she may have succeeded - you should see the size of her backpack!)
Isaac chose to collect something MUCH more masculine than frilly leaves. He filled HIS backpack (my purse) with rocks, dirt, and sticks. He took his job so seriously that I just didn't have the heart to tell him that mommy didn't really want to have her purse overflowing with nature's finest. (I cleaned it out in the parking lot when he wasn't looking.)

After the hike, we went to grandma and grandpa's house where Abby and Isaac proudly presented each grandparent with one of their treasures: "fuzzy weaves" and "pokey sticks". My parents were thrilled. Cousin Ellie was there with her mommy, and we quickly convinced the whole crew to join our fall-iday celebration by joining us for dinner. For dessert? Pumpkin pie, of course! Isn't fall the BEST?! My kids were so pooped by the end of the day that they fell asleep within minutes of strapping them into their carseats.

Who's in for tomorrow's adventure?

No comments: