Isaac and Abby loved being the 'elves' who passed out gifts during our gift exchange (even though they refused to wear the hats). And my big, cool, mature fifth graders ate it right up - they LOVED playing with Abby and Isaac, and my nephew Ian (who is in my class) beamed when Isaac ran right up to him and gave him a huge hug in front of the class.
There were even presents for them!
Santa even made a surprise appearance!After the last gift was opened, the last assignment turned in, the room was tidied, and my students had all headed off for their two week vacation, we headed out to the car to drive the kids to grandma's. When we couldn't even make it out of the parking lot without sliding into a snowbank, we realized that perhaps it was foolish to think that we could enjoy a quiet evening alone - especially if it took us all night just to get to the resort. We rescheduled our reservations and began the long and treacherous drive back to Salt Lake.
All of us were a bit grouchy at this point. Abby and Isaac were disappointed that they didn't get to sleep over at grandma's and Ben and I were bummed to miss our weekend away. But then I decided to make the best of it. We talked to the kids about why this weekend was so special and described our wedding to them. Then we went on a "Whole Family Date". It was AWESOME!!! We let the kids plan the agenda. It went something like this: first, we stomped through the snow, then we licked icicles, ate pizza at a yummy restaurant, saw a movie together, did a little Christmas shopping, and took the long way home; driving through neighborhoods to see the Christmas lights in the freshly fallen snow.
At home, we put the kids in their new Christmas jammies, curled up next to the Christmas tree and read Christmas stories together. Before family prayers in Isaac's room, we had a family tickle-fest on the floor.


Although it was not the romantic getaway we had planned, it turned out to be a wonderful night. I feel so incredibly blessed to have such a wonderful little family. I'm so grateful for the two little rascals who have added so much humor, love, exuberance, creativity and energy to our little family. Nine years ago, Ben and I couldn't have possibly imagined the joy that would come from the family we were just beginning. Happy anniversary Ben, and Abby, and Isaac. We're in this together. Thank you for a wonderful surprise date night. I look forward to many more celebrations as a family. I love you guys!
At home, we put the kids in their new Christmas jammies, curled up next to the Christmas tree and read Christmas stories together. Before family prayers in Isaac's room, we had a family tickle-fest on the floor.

Although it was not the romantic getaway we had planned, it turned out to be a wonderful night. I feel so incredibly blessed to have such a wonderful little family. I'm so grateful for the two little rascals who have added so much humor, love, exuberance, creativity and energy to our little family. Nine years ago, Ben and I couldn't have possibly imagined the joy that would come from the family we were just beginning. Happy anniversary Ben, and Abby, and Isaac. We're in this together. Thank you for a wonderful surprise date night. I look forward to many more celebrations as a family. I love you guys!
...and I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's rescheduled getaway when the storm has ceased and the car repaired...
1 comment:
I remember the wedding day - it was snowy then too. Best wishes to you and your little family. they are so cute.You two are the bestest (my favorite word even though it isn't a word)!
Post a Comment