I usually think myself a pretty sensible person, but ever since I became a mother, a nagging fear has lurked at the back of my mind: What would happen if I collapsed and were unable to get to the phone during a day at home with my children? What would happen if I were unable to attend to them? What would they do?
On Saturday morning, I witnessed something that gave me great comfort (and a few laughs as well.) Here's how it went down:
Ben decided to wake up early to go snowboarding. I was looking forward to sleeping in a bit and enjoying a nice, relaxing morning. Unfortunately, Ben's activity upstairs as he left woke up the kids. I heard them talking in their rooms at around 7:00 AM and
thought about getting up. Then I rolled over and snuggled a bit deeper under the cozy down comforter and decided to wait until they were
really awake before I got out of bed. The next thing I knew, it was 8:30 AM! I rushed out of bed and into the kitchen, wondering what my kids had been doing for an hour an a half. I discovered a small piece of evidence: (pardon the lens cap hanging in the photo - I was still a bit groggy at this point.)

Down the hall from Isaac's room, I hear giggles and Abby singing in her sing song voice, "Don't wowrry Isaac, I wiwll awlways be hewre fowr you." When I walked in, I found that Abby had gone into Isaac's room when she heard him wake up. She's not big enough to get him out of his crib yet, so she did the next best thing. She happily told me what she had been doing. It went something like this, "Mommy, I hewrd Isaac waking up and went to pway wif him. He wanted his toys, so I gave him his cawrs and dinosauwrs. Then he was thiwrsty, so I got him some wa wa. Then he was hungwry, so I got him some cewreal in a bowl and we shawred it."

They were so happy eating their breakfast of Lucky Charms and water, that I left them like that in the crib for another half hour while I took a long shower and got ready for the day. When I thanked Abby for taking such great care of her brother, she simply said, "I just did it becuase I weawy, weawy wuv him." What a great kid - (who is learning already how to score points with Mommy).

I guess I'll have to find something else to worry about now.
4 comments:
I know I've already heard this story before. But I love it. Its going to be one that I read over and over. She's so sweet and cute. AND luckily you documented it because it is almost too cute to be believable (except I know your darling children).
Classic! Abby gets some serious points for that one. Maybe she wants to come over in the morning to do the same with Benson?...! I will totally pay her.
Keep the highlights coming.
P.S. LOVE the wedding picture.
I love the story! In my house the dogs actually take care of Cade! Really, don't worry. Issac is pretty lucky to have such a great big sis.
Rachel.. I love reading about your cute kids. They are so entertaining! We need to get together soon..so I can meet Isaac. Talk to you soon..
Post a Comment