So, we created the guest list (only little people this year), made the invitations and decorated the backyard for fun!
For the party, Abby selected a few of her very favorite books (not as easy of a task as it may seem - this girl has a LOT of favorite books) and we read them to her party friends. We started out with a classic:
When Isaac was just learning to walk, his favorite pair of pajamas was a pair of baby blue footies and my mom made the comment that with his big eyes and white hair, he looks just like Harold. Little did she know he would soon discover the joy of writing on walls with crayons.
When Isaac was just learning to walk, his favorite pair of pajamas was a pair of baby blue footies and my mom made the comment that with his big eyes and white hair, he looks just like Harold. Little did she know he would soon discover the joy of writing on walls with crayons. I digress. Back to the party. We gathered all the little party-goers on a blanket and I read them the story.
Next we read a great rhyming book about finding colors in the world around you.
The kids then went on a scavenger hunt around our yard to find the colored balls hidden in the bushes...



...and collect them on the parachute for parachute games!
It took a little coordinating and a lot of explaining, but the kids had a blast trying to bounce all the balls off the parachute. 

Grandma Crystal had to leave before the party got going, but Abby was anxious to pose with one of her favorite people!
Our final book:
Grandma Janice was the expert on this activity. She brought little pots of soil for each child and gave them each a small handful of seeds to plant. We talked about how important it is to take very good care of your seed, put it in a place where it will get enough sunlight, water it every day, and never lose faith that it will grow, just like the boy in the book.




After all the activities, it was time for some food! Now, I up until this point, the party was going pretty smoothly. I was not yet regretting my decision to invite parents to simply drop off their children and pick them up two hours later. I could tell the kids were ready for lunch, so I brought out the pizza, the veggies, the fruit, the drinks, the chips, the plates, the napkins...
The kids then went on a scavenger hunt around our yard to find the colored balls hidden in the bushes...
...and collect them on the parachute for parachute games!
Grandma Janice was the expert on this activity. She brought little pots of soil for each child and gave them each a small handful of seeds to plant. We talked about how important it is to take very good care of your seed, put it in a place where it will get enough sunlight, water it every day, and never lose faith that it will grow, just like the boy in the book.

After all the activities, it was time for some food! Now, I up until this point, the party was going pretty smoothly. I was not yet regretting my decision to invite parents to simply drop off their children and pick them up two hours later. I could tell the kids were ready for lunch, so I brought out the pizza, the veggies, the fruit, the drinks, the chips, the plates, the napkins...
I guess I forgot that 2, 3 and 4 year olds aren't quite capable of waiting patiently in line, holding their plate with both hands, choosing which food they want, putting it on their own plate and then carefully carrying it back to the table to choose an unoccupied spot to eat. OOOPS. They all wanted just the right food, on their plate, in front of them, cut up to just the right sizes, with just the right amount of dip, sitting next to just the right person on just the right colored chair with just the right amount of space between them and their neighbor and of course they all wanted it RIGHT NOW! Aaaahhhh!
Thankfully, my friend Tara had stuck around and between me, her, Ben and my mom - we got those plates loaded up and distributed before any major meltodowns occurred. Phew!


By cake time, my friend Steph had arrived and helped the distribution of cake and ice cream go even more smoothly. Here's Abby's beautiful "Book Cake". Yum.

The final festivity - a book exchange. I liked the idea of letting each little guest bring a book to swap - that way they each leave with a present and Abby learns that birthdays are more about celebrating with people you love than getting an enormous pile of presents.
After most of the guests had departed, I found Abby sitting like such a little lady admiring her new book - just couldn't resist this shot. (And by the way, for any of you feeling a bit bad for Abby at this point because she didn't get her enormous pile of presents? Your minds may rest easy - family and friends made sure she got spoiled rotten at 3 mini parties spread out over the week.)

Yes it was a party to be remembered. Thanks to all the little friends who make Abby's life so happy - we'll see you all again next year for big number FIVE!
By cake time, my friend Steph had arrived and helped the distribution of cake and ice cream go even more smoothly. Here's Abby's beautiful "Book Cake". Yum.

Yes it was a party to be remembered. Thanks to all the little friends who make Abby's life so happy - we'll see you all again next year for big number FIVE!
3 comments:
yay for book parties! Adrie had a blast...even though she picked her own book to come home with :)
Rachel you are amazing. The way that you tie everything into the theme...I would guess you were a teacher or something. Oh wait you ARE a teacher. I figured! So cute...Abby is a lucky little girl to have a talented and nice mommy like you!
OMG. Next party you all have invite ME. What fun you all must of had. And the weather! Perfect for an outdoor party. I hope you don't mind my sharing this idea next time I hear of need of a party idea. You are the best.
Post a Comment