Saturday, June 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Ben!

Today my handsome husband, Ben turns 35. He is going to be ticked that I blogged it, as he is not the type who likes to be fussed over on his birthday. But oh well - I'm his wife, so I get to brag about him however I want. (Deep down inside, he really likes it.)In my opinion, the way he chose to celebrate his birthday is the perfect example of what I love most about him. For three years now, he has planned and coordinated a neighborhood children's race to raise money for The Sharing Place, a non-profit grief support program for children and families who have suffered the loss of a loved one. This year, he chose to hold the race on his birthday. What a perfect way to celebrate - by serving his community and family.
This is a monumental task, and he spends months planning, organizing and promoting the event. Although he has a group of volunteers, most of the burden rests on his shoulders. The race just gets better and better each year. His brother Johnnie embarrased him by announcing to the crowd that it was his birthday. We all joined in for a round of "Happy Birthday to You". Ben chose to spend his birthday helping his own children learn the value of physical exercise, community involvement, and pulling together as a family. (This year, all of the members of our family wore specially designed shirts that said, "Racing in Memory of Hakeem Quraishi".) It meant a lot to all of us to be competing in a race that meant so much to Hakeem, while at the same time, supporting the grief support program that helps kids cope with losses such as ours.
"The Race that Ben Built" (as I lovingly refer to it), raised over $2,600 for the Sharing Place this year. Ben made sure to involve Isaac by letting him be the one to present the check.
After the race, we got a babysitter and went downtown to the Arts Festival - spending a nice evening together without the kiddos enjoying good food, interesting art, and great music. I love you Ben. Thank you for being such a great, quiet strength and support to our family. Thank you for being so committed to things that really matter. You are amazing and I am proud to be your wife!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ben - what a great job on the race. Sounds like a great event and a great cause. Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY Birthday Big Brother. You're another year wiser!
Congratulations with the race. It looks like it was a big success.
I hope this 35th year is wonderful for you!

YbsisKaren said...

What a great cause you champion. You are quite a guy. I am proud to know you.

Emma said...

Rachel, sorry we missed the race. It sounds like it was a huge success. Next year we are in for sure.