Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

I hate that game show.  Always have.  Because, honestly? there's no way I could answer all of those questions and I'm a fifth grade TEACHER!!!

Although I admit that I am not smarter than the students I teach, I do love my job and find that I learn something new every single day.  The purpose of this post is to pass along two vital life lessons I've learned the hard way from my darling fifth graders just this month.  

Lesson #1:
No matter how engaging the lesson you've planned around these delectable little pastries, no matter how perfectly tied to the curriculum your object lesson is, if you want your class to remain even partially attentive to your instruction, then under absolutely NO circumstances should you ever state the following to a group of rowdy 5th grade boys:  "If you guys don't stop messing around, you're going to lose your Ding Dong." 

Uh hunh, that was a fun one...


Lesson #2:
If you have the chronic problem of being mistaken for a student by both teachers and parents, or if you've been asked on several occasions where your hall pass is because you look like a flippin' twelve year old, you should probably ask the photographer on class photo day for a box to stand on or something. Otherwise you'll be taunted in the office by co-workers singing the, "Which of these kids is not like the other?" song from Sesame Street every time they see your class photo.  



No comments: