Tuesday, March 17, 2009

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY!!!

GRRR!!! I'm a Lion and I LIKE Saint Patrick's Day!!!
So, a little venting before I continue with this wee post:

My kids have been sick. They've been sick ALL. WINTER. LONG!!!!

I don't know what it is, but this has been the most pathetic winter we've ever had. Literally every other week one of them is running a fever, coughing, sneezing, puking, you name it. It started with pneumonia this fall and has continued until Abby's Pink Eye this weekend. I am SICK AND TIRED OF IT!!! Yesterday Abby was fine, we used the leftover pink eye drops from last year and her eyes were clear, her fever was gone and she was as perky as ever. I put her down to bed and an hour later I heard her crying for me. I arrived just in time to do the mommy-instinctive-try-to-catch-the-puke-with-your-bare-hands-before-it-hits-the-bedding grab. (Why do we do that? It's disgusting and never effective.) She was burning up with a 102 fever and pathetically shaking and sobbing. Needless to say, I stayed home today to be a mommy. (After waking up at the crack of dawn to drive all the way to Bountiful and get my classroom set up for the substitute before school started.)

Abby and Isaac were really disappointed to miss going to school on Saint Patrick's Day, so we began planning our own impromptu St. Patty's Day Party. We called our neighbors (who, incidentally had already been exposed to our germiness over the weekend) and invited them to lunch. And what a feast it was! I hereby declare food coloring as THE GREATEST INVENTION OF ALL TIME! We had green shamrock waffles with green syrup, green applesauce, green eggs and ham, and green milk. It looked disgusting, but didn't taste half bad. The kids loved it! (Well, okay except for Abby who has determined that green is a BOY color and therefore purely revolting. I had to bribe her to keep her green sweater on.)
This little boy sure didn't mind.


And Stuart and Ali LOVED the green applesauce.

After lunch we had a wee bit o'story time and I read the kids a story about clever little leprechauns.
Then we made "leprechaun hats" with lots of green frosting and mmmmm...green sprinkles!





So, most of our creations didn't actually resemble headwear at all, but the wee folk didn't seem to mind one bit!


And for our craft? We planted wheat grass in tiny jars with rocks to create "Magical Leprechaun Gardens". We're hoping that once the grass grows, the leprechauns will come hide out in them. I love this photo...Aurelie, I do believe your daughter may be part pirate!



ARRR! Top o' the Mornin' to ya!

1 comment:

Shmacque said...

I missed you Abbi and Isaac!! But it looks like you guys had a GREAT day!! What a fun and creative Mommy!! I hope you feel better Abbi, soon!!
Love Miss Jacque