Monday, April 19, 2010

Due Date...April 17th

Saturday was Soren's due date. Instead of spending the day in the hospital in writhing pain, endless streams of doctors and nurses, hours of starvation and a complete lack of privacy as we would have had he come on time - we spent a peaceful spring day at home. We are so happy he's out! I'd like to say we did something unique and clever to celebrate his due date nearly three weeks after he actually came - but we spent the day much as we have every single day since he burst into our lives. We spent countless hours just staring at him. One of my favorite Isaac lines recently has been, (as he snuggles his brother and gets right in his face) "Wittle Baby Sowren, I just can't stop STAWRING at you!" I have to agree with Isaac. There is something about this kid that makes me just want to stare at him all day long.
I took the picture above to prove to the doc that he is indeed, gaining weight. Granted this photo was taken just moments after a good feed, just look at that bulging belly! He weighs in tomorrow - the doc is hoping he's at least back to his birth weight. I'd be very surprised if he isn't.

I love the little moments I have at home with Soren. I love the weight of his little body on my chest as he snuggles me. I love the rhythm of his breathing when he falls asleep in my arms. I adore the way his forehead wrinkles whenever he opens his eyes wide to take in the world. I love the look of wonder in his eyes as he discovers new things - like wind and birds chirping and big brothers who like to drive matchbox cars across his tummy. I could spend all day studying the facial expressions he makes even in his sleep. I love the way he grabs on to my finger for dear life each time he begins to eat. I love the softness of his hair (yes, he does have a little) and the smoothness of his cheek against mine. These are just a few of the little things we've been celebrating the past three weeks.

We've also been celebrating this beautiful weather! Each day we pack Soren into the sling and go on a walk around the neighborhood. What a great time to have a baby!


Yes, Soren came into the world three weeks early. Yes, his first week was plagued with sickness, struggle, fear, stress and worry. But I have to admit that looking back, I am truly grateful for every moment I've had to spend with my tiny son. The time we had in the hospital - just him and I for so many hours - the tears, the prayers, the celebration of each tiny step forward - created an intense bond between the two of us that could not have formed this quickly otherwise.
Looking forward to a lifetime of celebrations with our little Soren. Happy due date, little buddy.

1 comment:

YbsisKaren said...

wow, he sure changed in a weeks time. Looking even better now. And no one could ever say he wasn't a Lowry! He sure has the LOOK of a RA-BEN child. :)