Saturday, April 3, 2010

Take THAT NICU! I'm outta here!

I woke up to yet another very pleasant surprise this morning. The doctor had just finished Soren's exam and told me everything looks perfect, and he no longer needs the support of the Special Care Nursery! So we packed him up, put real clothes on him (his cousin Lexi will be relieved to know that he's no longer naked) and put him in a regular crib! He gets to stay with me now in my room until tomorrow afternoon when he gets his last dose of antibiotics. We were both quite happy to be on our way.
Honestly though, there was a part of me that feels so indebted to the doctors and nurses who have spent so much time and energy with us this week, that I was a bit sad. Ben and I will be forever grateful to the incredible people who saved our son's life. They not only saved his life, but they made our stay here so much better by being so concerned and genuinely loving our little Soren.

This is Dr. Dimick, the man responsible for saving our son's life and helping him recover so remarkably fast. He was amazing and not only had the knowledge and expertise needed to diagnose and treat Soren medically, but he has a great bedside manner and took huge amounts of time out of his busy schedule to explain in detail what was going on with our son, and patiently answer all of our many questions. (He even gave me his "Happy Doctor Day" candy bar from the nurses when he saw that I couldn't stop crying the first day we were here. Chocolate always helps, thanks Doc!)
I don't know how to even begin to say thank you to all of these wonderful, hardworking, selfless people to whom we owe so much.

Soren gets to go home tomorrow afternoon! Yay!!!

2 comments:

YbsisKaren said...

YEAH for Drs. & Chocolate. I am glad you feel better. I can't imagine YOU crying. I just can't.

Shmacque said...

I hope you aren't sick of my comments, but I'm just sooo excited!! Earlier today I was imagining the joy and excitement when Abby and Isaac get to see him for the first time!! (I'm imagining Isaac jumping and talking non-stop) Congrats and Happy Easter little Soren!!