Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cousin Day

For her birthday, Abby got her very own camera. The princesses pose on demand, free of charge. She had to bring it along to Friday's "Cousin Day". The original plan for this cousin day was to bring all the water toys we could think of and have a water day in my parents backyard. Since mother nature has had water day all flippin' week- making it a bit chilly for outdoor water fun, we moved our plans indoors. Jack here wanted to do a "science day" instead. So, leaning heavily upon my 5th grade science skills, we built volcanoes.

Jack built a model of the earth complete with it's internal layers - and used it to teach his cousins all about the makeup of the earth and how volcanoes are formed. Way to go, Genius Jack!



We built volcanoes out of salt dough, and then baked them to speed up the process. While they were still hot out of the oven, we colored them with crayons. The kids were mesmerized by the way the crayons began to melt while they were coloring! Then we took them outside to erupt!








When Uncle Russ came to pick up Conner and Jack, he talked us all into driving up to Ogden to go fishing. Conner caught the first fish!


Fish-Face!


This is Lauren. She is the neatest, most organized, cleanliest kid I know. Everything has it's place, everything must be neat and in a row. She's the only kid I've ever met who actually ASKS her mother if she can give toys away to make her closet more organized. Who would have thought she'd be in seventh heaven walking in mud and holding onto a slimy, squirming, scaley, sickening fish! She is amazing! (And, she caught the largest fish out of the entire group!) Way to go Lala!



Cousin Ellie brought her new little chihuahua along - see little Leah peeking her head out of Ellie's shirt! She really is treated like a princess.



This was Abby and Isaac's first time fishing. They were pretty excited. Isaac caught a few fish with my help, but Abby hadn't had any luck. She was just enjoying the scenery, holding her fishing pole and watching the fishies swim by. I turned my back to help Lauren reel in her catch when suddenly I heard a piercing scream from behind. I turned around just in time to see my tough little daughter chucking her fishing pole (squirming, gasping, pulsating fish and all) halfway across the lawn while running as fast as she could in the opposite direction. I ran over to her, praising her up and down for catching her very first fish. I calmed her down and we retrieved the poor traumatized fish and passed it off to Russ. (Honestly, I can't bear to see the poor thing gasping for air - it breaks my heart.) As I told her again how proud I was, she simply said, "I didn't think it would be that scary. I don't want to talk about this. I don't want to tell daddy. I don't want to see my fish again. I want to go home."




Um, not exactly the fishing experience I had been hoping for. As we headed for the car, eager to get her out of there before she was exposed to the horrors of the chopping block, Abby whispered into my ear, "Mommy, I want to see that!" My kid (who wouldn't even LOOK at the fish she caught 5 minutes before) stood there for a good 15 minutes, unaffected as she watched the girl whack the fish on the head to knock it out, cut into its belly, rip its guts out, chop off its head, de-bone the poor thing and slice it into fillets for our dinner.

Kids.

Go figure.

No comments: