Friday, June 5, 2009

YEEEEHAW!!! Summer is here!

The last week of school was pretty hectic. Between preparing entertaining activities to keep my students under control, to printing report cards, filling out final evaluations, writing my end of the year poem, printing out awards, and making farewell gifts for colleagues - I wasn't in bed before midnight the entire week. Here's my final class shot with "The Year of the Fishie" (inside joke - sorry, only 30 of us know...)But all the hard work was worth it - we had a fabulous final week. We played active outdoor games..."Water kickball" - each base was a wading pool and home plate was a Sponge Bob Slip-n-slide.

Yes, I was safe!


Eating Popsicles in the pool. (This just a day after we went to the REAL pool for field day.)

Not to be outdone by a bunch of 11-year olds, I dusted off the cello that hasn't been touched in nearly 20 years and performed a stunning rendition of "Jaws" at our fifth grade talent show. Isaac, waiting patiently (after being bribed with a giant lollipop) for the thank you gift he picked out for his preschool teacher to be wrapped. Of course, we couldn't miss our Wednesday tradition of yogurt stop with Grandma, Ellie, and Miss Jacque!
Isaac and Abby competed in their pre-school's first annual "Triathlon". (More to follow on this AWESOME event put on my the amazing "Miss Jeri".)


Back at school, we attempted to build a 29 student pyramid. It didn't work.

Finally, on the last day - after all the report cards were printed and the desks cleaned out - we decided to treat my students (and the other 5th grade class ) to a gourmet breakfast. (Feeding 60 hungry 5th graders is quite a feat in itself - It's amazing how many pancakes those kids can wolf down - I lost track of the top eater at 12 pancakes, 7 slices of bacon and 5 glasses of milk! Whew!) After school, we organized an impromptu "Happy Summer" party with my awesome sisters and mom.



My mom is the GREATEST!


Random, refreshing bursts of summer rain kept crossing our path today, so the cousins packed along a blanket to cuddle up with and fight off the chill. (I swear it took them 20 minutes to walk across this parking lot - the each insisted on holding the blanket - and pulled each other around in all directions as they waddled up to the theater.)We finished up the day by seeing the new "UP" movie.


Yes, our summer vacation has officially taken off. YIPPEE!!!!

2 comments:

Shmacque said...

Wow!! What a fun teacher, I love that you also did the slip'n slide!! Did Abby tell you that I TOTALLY lost it when I said goodbye. It's probably a good thing you didn't pick them up, would have been harder to stop the tears. I'll miss you Abby and Isaac. Thanks again for my present, you did perfect picking out those charms. :) Have a terrific summer.

YbsisKaren said...

I can't tell you how much fun your site is. I love it. It takes me back to my dull school days anxiously awaiting summer. If only I'd had a teacher like you. Hugs,